- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash, sliced
- 4-5 T Olive Oil, as needed
- 1 1/2 lbs waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb ham or bacon, diced
- 6 eggs
- Black pepper
- 1 C grated cheese (cheddar recommended)
- Combine the zucchini and 1 teaspoon salt in a colander and toss well. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over the medium-high heat in a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Add the potatoes and onion, reduce the heat to a medium-low and cook, flipping and stirring occasionally until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and continue cooking, tossing occasionally until the potatoes are brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon but keep the skillet on the burner.
- Transfer the zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Add the zucchini and bacon/ham to the skillet and sauté over medium-high heat, until the zucchini is just tender, about 4 minutes. Remove the zucchini and bacon/ham with a slotted spoon. Keep the skillet over the heat.
- Beat the eggs and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until well blended. Fold in the potatoes, zucchini/ham mixture and cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the rest of the oil to the skillet as needed to lightly coat the bottom. pour in the egg mixture, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook without stirring until the bottom is 'set', about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is set, 10-15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes.
- Place a serving plate on top of the skillet and carefully invert. The frittata should fall out of the pan. Cut and serve.