- 4 Medium size beets with greens
- 1/4 C Rice vinegar
- 2 T Fresh Chives, chopped
- 2T Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 T Orange Juice
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 oz soft cheese, crumbled (goat recommended)
- Separate the beet greens from the roots. Discard and bruised or damages leaves. Chop the stems into 1/4 inch ribbons and the leaves into 1/4 inch ribbons. Peel the roots and food process.
- Combine the greens and grated roots in a steamer and steam over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender. Immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
- Whisk together the vinegar, chives, mint and orange juice in a medium bowl. Whisk in the oil and until it is fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and beets and toss to mix. Taste again and add more salt and pepper vinegar if desired.
- Crumble three quarters of the goat cheese over the salad and toss to mix. Garnish with the remaining goat cheese and serve.